Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The right place at the right time

The other day, I needed to go to the market and get some food for the office. Giant Food (a local market chain) is a block away, and I will often walk over there during the day.

This morning, as I walked down the aisle towards the kosher food, a bocher (a Yeshiva student) was studying the individual items. I wished him "Boker Tov" (good morning) and continued on.

Moments later, he is talking to me in Hebrew and I have no idea what he's saying, but it is more then simply a hello back. I quietly respond that I don't speak Hebrew, and after I few minutes, I come to understand that he's looking for a special bread -- he keeps talking about mezonot, which refers to cookies, crackers, and doughnuts, but he also insists that what he wants is none of those things.

Now I don't speak Hebrew, but Rabbi does.

A few minutes later, Rabbi has spoken with him, and I gather he is looking for bread that is Pas Yisroel and Yishon, which (alas) is not to be found at Giant. I feel badly for the young man, but at least he now knows.

No comments: